Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Letter to the Moorefield Examiner, published this week.

Concerning school uniforms and "good Germans."

_____________________________________________


I am ready to receive criticism for my viewpoint, which seems diametrically opposed to those prevailing views expressed in the correspondence in the Examiner. Thank God we have not yet lost freedom of expression in this country. We still have the constitutional right to publicly make fools of ourselves, so here is my humble contribution to the latest local subjects of controversy:


I find it amusing how sensitive certain people are about their race or culture. I am writing about the offense taken to an ad in the Weekender metaphorically describing the policy of wearing school uniforms as an act of being “good Germans.” I realize that stereotypical racial profiling is no longer politically correct, but I’m still laughing as I write this—not at the content of the ad, which is quite frankly a little tasteless, but I do find humor in the reactions to it. It appears that many people don’t understand that the content of the ad was written by the opposition to the school uniform policy, and not by the Examiner, based on the letters.


I am of equal German and Irish heritage, so I feel that I have as much right to voice an opinion on this “good German” issue as the people who took offense. I love a good stereotypical Irish joke about excessive libational intake, and I even enjoy watching the campy old TV show Hogan’s Heroes, which features a shtick that doesn’t exactly elevate the prestige of the Germanic race. No matter how much someone might make fun of my heritage, it doesn’t change what I am and where I came from, and I’m frankly rather proud of my ancestors, as most everyone should be. I feel that if people didn’t tend to take themselves so seriously, the world would be a much better place.


From what I have read, people seem lukewarm to, or even unaware of, the fact that we are gradually losing certain freedoms in this country that we once fought for and that are now taken for granted, such as our constitutional right to privacy--but they are outraged that someone might take away their boys’ right to wear their waistline around their thighs, or their girls’ right to sport poured-in looking jeans and micro-blouses. Okay, I am exaggerating there with comedic intent, but I just want to make a point. It amuses me that these issues would be the subject of such vociferous controversy, considering how many real problems we are facing today.


I would urge these people to lighten up, as should the clamorous group who opposes school uniforms. Folks, these are not life-changing issues that are a threat to the well-being of yours, and all future generations, such as a new health care policy might be. There are much better causes to expend energy on.


Let me add a bit more controversy to this subject: not only do I think uniforms are a good idea for Moorefield Middle School, but I would gently advocate that this policy be applied at all county schools, from elementary through high school. Incidentally, I do have a son who attends Moorefield High School, so I am not an outsider looking in. As I noted above, I can’t expend a lot of energy on this minor cause, because there are other issues more important, such as my own unemployment due to the rotten economy.


For those who do not have the resources to purchase uniforms, I suggest the schools conduct fundraising events, where the monies received would be used to help those in need to purchase the uniforms. It works for raising funds for athletic uniforms, and various other causes. Though I am a poor German-Irish American boy, I would be happy to contribute, as would other members of the silent majority. There are those that would boycott such an activity, but I believe those people would be the few members of a vocal minority who oppose the uniforms.


Disclaimer: All of the opinions in this letter belong to me alone, because nobody else seems to want them.


Dixon Marshall

No comments: